The Search For Bright Waters

Friday, September 10, 2010

Regrouping

So my last day of work was Aug 31st.  Since then I have been vigorously cleaning the boat which is turning into a 3 week event.  Ofcourse I do take video game breaks :)  Once the cleaning has been completed then the boat projects will comence.  Specifically installing dinghy davits and solar panels on top of them.

We also hired Chris Oliver to survey our engine.  Besides alot of small fixable notices we have three main problems with the engine that I will dive into.

1) There is an oil leak.  We have known about this and just monitor the oil level.  Well Chris showed me where it was and how to fix it.

2) The head gasket needs to be replaced.  There is alot of rust on one side of the engine due to this. He also suggested that we have our fuel injectors sent off to be replaced because he noticed one of the three didnt start immediatly when turning on the engine.  This will be a tough job to remove a large chunk of the engine but I am confident.

3) There is a leak at the stuffing box.  We have noticed this and just make sure the bilge runs every so often.  Well to fix this I have to turn one bolt and adjust another and then retighten.  Chris made it clear that this had to be done properly or water could start pouring into the boat so I will either have the boat pulled or hire a professional.  I am not that confident.

Other than that we are installing some LED lights and getting more excited by the day to be off and away!

-Joey

No comments: